Friday, August 28, 2009

Can I get a reverse TIVO?

Next Saturday can't get here fast enough. What makes it even more exciting is that my awesome wife is also excited about the beginning of the season. I think it's about time for me to do a complete run down of the conference before my blue goggles become a permanent fixture on my head.

1. Brigham Young Cougars: No I don't have my goggles on yet, I just think and anyone who has watched college football for longer than 5 years knows that BYU is still the best of "the rest". I know the line is shaky at best but I think come conference season the Cougars will be the best prepared team in the conference. They will also become the 6th team in a row to win the conference with an undefeated conference record.

2. Texas Christian University: A Horned Frog? Really, I can't be the only one who thinks that this is by far the most pathetic mascot in the Mountain West. Mascots Aside, TCU has the best chance of ruining BYU's undefeated conference season. Speed kills and they've got a lot of it. The only problem for them this year is that they have to come into LES where the Cougars haven't lost in 3 years. The streak won't end this year either and so that's why I think TCU will go 6-2 in conference to come in second.

3. University of Utah: Last year wasn't a fluke as much as I hate to say it. Yes things went surprisingly well, but good recruiting and good coaching gives you a chance to do that every so often. They lose a lot of starters on offense so I expect them to battle it out with Air Force and at least one other team, along with road losses to BYU and TCU. I'm thinking they'll go 5-3 in conference with a chance to tie TCU at 6-2.

4. University of Wyoming: WHAT? I swear I didn't type that. Unless my bold prediction does happen then I did. Why do I think they will end up this high? New Coach Dave Christensen the former OC from Mizzou is taking over and can only improve on rather despicable offense. Downing the ball 3 times and then punting would be an improvement for this unit. Wyoming actually had one of the best D's in the conference last year and were in a lot of games. The spread offense in Laramie will help the Cowboys to a 4-4 record this year and with any luck they will finally get there revenge on Utah and could end up with a 5-3 record.

5. Air Force Falcons: Calhoun will improve this year but the record won't show it because of a tough conference. The Cowboys will break out and I doubt the Falcons will beat any of the big 3. I'm thinking it's a 4-4 season for the Falcons, losing the tie-breaker to the Cowboys.

6. Colorado St Rams: Their story will be similar to the Falcon's come years end. I think they continue to improve but lose some close games to go 3-5 in conference

7.University of Nevada Las Vegas Rebels: That's a mouth full. I'll just stick to UNLV for now. It's too bad for the Rebels that it's not basketball season yet. Omar Clayton is a great talent but he really doesn't have much around him. UNLV will disappoint with a 2-6 in conference record.

8. New Mexico Lobos: They are only this high because SDSU is still in the conference. With the parting of Rocky Long the Lobos are in trouble. This could be the last year they stay out of the 9 spot. 1-8 For the Lobos.

9. San Diego State University Aztect: SDSU is getting better fast, and it's hard not to when you are recruiting to one of the most beautiful areas in the US. The addition of Rocky Long will definitely help this squad and maybe they'll win a game this year. I hope they go 1-8 but they could go without a win again.

No comments:

Post a Comment