Monday, August 10, 2009

Day 5: Robbie Buckner


Well I got the Cougarboard bump last Saturday so I feel the pressure to live up to the standards with today's blog so here goes nothing:
Robbie Buckner, 5-10, 165 Fr: Let me start out by saying that this kid was the Arkansas 3A State Champion in the 400 Meter dash. Anyone who has ever ran a 400 know that this is the toughest race out there. It is an all out sprint, one time around the track. Buckner, who is fresh off a mission from Maputo, Mozambique, is the early leader to take the starting job at the field corner spot. Buckner's spot however, is hotly contested and if he is able to lock it down then it will be because he is a player and not because of a lack of competition at the position. Three J.C. transfers are pushing for the spot which should make Robbie and the transfers into better football players. The good news is that the defensive secondary isn't as thin as it was once thought to be and looks like it could even turn into one of the defenses strengths because of the new found depth. My guess is that Buckner will win the starting job but whoever takes over as the back-up will get plenty of playing time. The pessimistic side of me wants to say that Buckner is going to get injured within a couple of weeks and won't end up contributing significantly for a couple of months. (Quick someone knock on wood) However, I am going to go back to what I said at the beginning: Buckner is a State Champion 400 runner. It takes an incredible kind of athlete to run that race and someone who is able to get into incredible shape too. If reports are true about Buckner's work ethic then we won't need to worry about an injury unless it is one of those freak accidents that seem to plague many returned missionaries. Robbie definitely has the talent to become a 4 year starter and wow cougar fans for a long time. So who do I think will sing Buckner's praise in December? I think it will be Jan Jorgensen as he is accepts the Defensive Player of the year award.

Still to come today: Day 6, Scott Johnson

2 comments:

  1. What does "Cougarboard bump" mean? Anyway, I hope Buckner lives up to all the early hype he is getting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My blog showed up on the front page of cougarboard which caused my page hits to spike on saturday. But yeah I'm counting on Buckner to come up big this year!

    ReplyDelete