Thursday, September 17, 2009

Key Matchups and Predictions


I couldn't get Keyshawn Johnson to do any "key match ups" for my blog so I'll just have to analyze a couple match ups myself. First off there aren't really any personel match ups that jump out at me, just one or two group or team match ups.

BYU's physicality and discipline vs FSU's speed and inexperience: FSU's biggest advantage is their athleticism and speed. Their biggest problem is that their speed is very inexperienced and undisciplined. Speed does kill, but having speed without discipline is like having a loaded revolver but then pointing it at yourself. It kills, just not who you would like. Anyone who watched the Miami game saw that FSU's secondary really had no idea what was going on. They were fast but they were always in the wrong spot. BYU's offense has a lot better execution than Miami's and this is a big problem for FSU. If the Seminoles secondary is still lost come Saturday, Max Hall and co. will score at will.
BYU's biggest advantage in this match up is their physicality and size, especially at the Tight End position. Dennis Pitta will be to much for the FSU defense to handle.
I think the biggest question coming into Saturday is how will our size on defense match up with their speed on offense? BYU will score points but the defense has not faced receivers this fast. FSU has an experienced O-line and should give Ponder plenty of time to find his receivers. Which brings me to my next key match up.

BYU crowd vs FSU O-line: This will be huge. Our home fans will be really loud and will confuse the FSU O-line which will allow our blitz packages to be a lot more effective. It will also give our defensive guys a lot of energy to fly around to the ball and make some huge hits. If the crowd stays in this things and makes it hard for the O-line to hear the blocking assignments then the BYU defense will hold the FSU offense to less than 14 points. Here is my prediction for the game. BYU 38 FSU 13

AROUND THE MWC

Last week I went 7-1 with my picks but I forgot to make a pick for the UNLV vs Oregon St. game. Here are my picks for this week

Utah 31 Oregon 35: This is a revenge game for the Ducks and although I don't think either team is all that great, I'm going to pick Oregon in a close one.

Wyoming 21 Colorado 13: Colorado is terrible this year starting out 0-2. Wyoming gave Texas a scare in the first half but in the end their defense was on the field too long. Their offense is awful and if they can muster a few point I think they will win this match up only because of how good their D is.

Nevada 35 Colorado st 31: I give the advantage to CSU only because they get this game at home. They are improving but they still have a long ways to go. Nevada is not nearly as good I thought they would be after getting throttle by ND. However CSU will falter in the end and Nevada will come away with the victory

San Diego St 35 Idaho 13: I like the Aztec's schedule so far. After whipping up on power house SUU, It's time for Idaho to take its beating too.

Texas St 13 TCU 45: TCU will basically shut down Texas St. but they will give up a few meaningless points with their 3rd stringers in.

Air Force 31 New Mexico 21: At this point an improving Air Force is a better pick than a bottom 10 team in New Mexico.

Hawii 13 UNLV 21: The rebels looked good in playing a close game with the Beavers and I think they will take care of Hawii at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment