Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Rich Kaipust Responds

I just got an email back from Mr. Kaipust and it was pretty much what I expected. Not much of an explanation and pretty weak ones when he did offer them. Here is what he responded and I'll let you decide.
D.J. -- As with most voters since AP made access to votes public, I get lots of e-mails. I'd like to scribble some replies but am a little short on time this week with having to bang out some work here before we travel to Blacksburg on Friday. One thing for sure is the thought of putting VT high to help Nebraska never crossed my mind until just now. No Big 12 bias either on Oklahoma or Oklahoma State. Just seen enough of them to know how good they are.

Let me tell you this: It's really hard to look at a head-to-head game and say jump somebody ahead of somebody else just because they beat them. If Troy beat Florida last week, do you automatically jump them ahead? There's no magic formula I go by (and I'm sure none of the other 59 do, either). It's just a weird cross of gut and head.

Also, I've done this for several years and there's always a real flux in September. Everything starts to play itself out and you'll notice votes fall more in line with each other over time.

I know that probably doesn't help, but I've got to run.

Rich


My biggest problem in his explanation is probably in his comparison of Troy and Florida to BYU and Oklahoma. Even if they were comparable you wouldn't expect him to put Florida in the top ten after a loss to Troy. I do agree with him when he talks about a flux in September though. Basically I am taking from this that AP voters just kind of put whatever they want for the first few weeks. We'll see if they start to vote a little more rational in the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment